St. Olaves Bridge and the River Waveney pictured c1900. The bridge was built in 1847 by George Edwards of Carlton Colville and replaced an earlier three arch, stone bridge.
St. Olaves Bridge c1905.
The Bell Hotel at St. Olaves pictured c1910.
The bridge at St. Olaves with the Bell Hotel seen in the background, posted in 1926.
This postcard dates from the 1930s and shows the view looking upstream towards St. Olaves Bridge. Johnson’s Yacht Station and boatyard can be seen on the left, just below the bridge.
Another view of W.G. Johnson’s boatyard at St. Olaves, posted in 1937. The large motor cruiser moored to the right of the boat sheds was the 34ft, 6 berth “Crescent” which was a conversion of the ex Great Yarmouth lifeboat “John Burch”. The John Burch was gifted to the Gt. Yarmouth and Gorleston lifeboat station by a Mrs Burch of Kings Lynn in 1892 and was bought by W.G. Johnson in 1912 when she was retired. In 1935 she cost between £12 10 shillings and £16 10 shillings for a weeks hire including one attendant. After WW2 Crescent became a static houseboat, and continued to be hired by Johnsons until the end of the 1960s.