Stokesby Corn Towermill pictured c1905. The mill was built in 1826 and had auxillary steam power added in the late 1880s. The mill was also sometimes referred to as Trett’s Mill, after it’s last owner Edward Trett whose son, Edward Elijah Trett Jnr, was the last recorded miller. The mill was put up for sale in 1917 after the death of Edward Trett senior and it’s thought that it ceased to be operational at that time. The main tower still stands in Mill Road at Stokesby, although it no longer has it’s cap.
The Ferry Inn at Stokesby pictured c1910. There had been a ferry crossing point on this site for at least 300 years before this photograph was taken, but the chain ferry ceased operating during the early 20th century. The image above appears to show the old pontoon ferry still in situ. The licensee of the pub in 1910 was Edgar Allen.
Another view of the Ferry Inn from a few years later, c1930. Originally called the Ferry House, the current building dates from c1890 but was renamed the Ferry Boat Inn in 1905, and became known as the Ferry Inn c1915. The old corn mill can be seen in the background on the left.
Another postcard featuring the Ferry Inn at Stokesby dating from the 1930s/1940s.