Riverside bungalows at Potter Heigham c1920s. The area where the bungalows stand became the “Broads Haven” boatyard when the site was purchased and developed by Herbert Woods c1930.
“On The Silver Thurne Near Potter Heigham” c1930.
Looking downstream towards the bridge and the hotel at Potter Heigham c1930s.
This postcard of the River Thurne at Potter Heigham also dates from the 1930s - the photograph may possibly have been taken during a regatta.
Another view taken from the edge of the Broads Haven boatyard c1930s.
An aerial view of the Broads Haven yard, pictured c1935. Herbert Woods began building his revolutionary “Light” class of motor cruisers at Potter Heigham in the mid 1920s. By the end of the decade, and needing more room for his growing fleet, he bought 6 acres of marshland just south of the bridge. Between 1930 and 1931, the huge, 2 acre basin was dug by hand, sheds and workshops were erected and the Broads Haven yard was born.
Herbert Woods sailing cruisers lined up alongside the Broads Haven yard c1930s/1940s.
Church Road in Potter Heigham c1930s. The photograph was taken from what was presumably the entrance to a farm - the thatched cart lodge building in the foreground has long since gone, but the pond and the remains of the old flint wall are still to be found in Church Road.
Potter Heigham Bridge pictured c1950.
This postcard is dated 1951 and shows the view looking downstream from the old road bridge. Applegate’s yard, which was under the ownership of Herbert Woods by this time, can be seen in the foreground on the right.
Another view of Potter Heigham Bridge taken from the edge of the Broads Haven yard c1956.