Loddon pictured in 1970 and taken by Ron Harrison.
Another picture of Wayford Bridge on the River Ant, this time from 1972.
The ice cream boat at Ranworth in 1972.
Another floating fish’n’chip boat, a conversion of one of the Windboats Flat-a-Floats,
Norwich Yacht Station c1972.
The passenger cruiser “Regal Lady” photographed around Easter 1970. Regal Lady began
life as the “Oulton Belle” which was built in 1930 by Fellows & Co. of Great Yarmouth
for the Yarmouth and Gorleston Steam Packet Company. She was a popular trip boat
during the 1930s but was requisitioned by the Ministry of Defence during the Second
World War for work as a fleet tender on the Clyde. She is also listed as being one
of the Dunkirk Little Ships, but one of her former skippers, Jack Cates, was apparently
adamant that she never went to Dunkirk according to information supplied by Kim Blake!
After the war she returned to Great Yarmouth and an upper deck and new funnel were
fitted and one of the excursions she ran was a round trip down the coast to Lowestoft
and in through Mutford Lock, returning to Yarmouth via the Waveney and Breydon Water.
In 1954 she was sold and moved to Scarborough where she was renamed Regal Lady and
converted to diesel. In 1970 she returned to the Broads when she was bought by Neville
Blake who, along with son Kim, operated her out of Norwich until 1984. In 1986, Regal
Lady moved back up the coast to Scarborough where she was totally rebuilt before
being put back into service as a passenger boat and she continues to offer chartered
trips from there today.
One of the most famous steam passenger cruisers “Queen Of The Broads” which was launched
in 1879, pictured here c1972. She continued operating until 1976.