Barton Turf c1952. In the foreground is B67 “Elnora” a Norfolk One design dinghy,
in the background is an unknown pleasure wherry which was apparently known locally
as the “Yellow Wherry”.
B907 the wherry “Dragon” at Barton c1952.
The aftermath of the Breydon Wherry race of 1952 showing “Albion” with her mast broken.
You can read an account of that race here.
A picture of the wherry race on Breydon from August 1952. “Dragon” and “Hathor” have
run aground on the left whilst “Albion” overtakes
The start of the Breydon wherry race at Burgh Castle in 1952. “Dragon” is in the
foreground with “Albion” and “Hathor” behind.
The new sign at Barton Turf pictured in 1953, pointing to the staithe in one direction
and Pennygate in the other.
This and the following three photographs were sent in by Bill Henderson and were
taken in 1958 during a holiday taken with The Burnt Ash Congregational Church from
London. The party of young people stayed on the converted ex-admiralty MTB “Foynes”,
pictured above at Oulton Broad. “Foynes” was a "2-tube" Vosper Motor Torpedo Boat
which was around 70 feet in length.
Joan Henderson relaxing on the deck of “Foynes” in August 1958. Her future husband
had cycled all the way from Birmingham to join the party for the week!
Pictured on “Foynes” is the organiser of the trip, Ron Batt, and the girls in the
party from 1958.
Another picture of “Foynes” at Oulton Broad in 1958. Included in the hire price were
a sailing dinghy, a rowing dinghy and a motor launch.
More of John Hopthrow’s photographs.
Y36 “Sea Earl” from A.G.Ward’s yard at Thorpe St Andrew, pictured during the 1950s.