* home * about this site * archive * contact *

Designed & Maintained By Carol Gingell

©  C.Gingell 2007 - all photographs, personal stories and written articles on this site are copyright and should not be reproduced anywhere else without the permission of the copyright owner and Broadland Memories.
What's New

Postcards Of The Norfolk Broads



Page  1, 2

previous page

The Anchor Hotel and Yachting Staithe at Coltishall c1905, which was a popular mooring spot for holiday boats even back then. The Anchor Hotel, on the left, was owned by Morgan’s Brewery and the licensee at this time was Peter George Hunt. The hotel closed in 1985 and is now a private house.

Another view of the Anchor Staithe moorings at Coltishall, postmarked to 1906. The range of buildings seen in the background were part of a large maltings complex which was situated next to the Anchor Hotel. Malting had been an important industry in Coltishall for many years - the 1841 census listed three maltsters in Anchor Street alone. By the early 20th century, the business was in decline and the maltings seen above closed. The buildings fronting on to the river had been demolished by the early 1930s and the rest of the complex was converted into private dwellings

The Street at Coltishall, pictured c1909. On the right is Roys’ Grocery and Drapery store which was established here in 1895 by brothers Alfred and Arnold Roy. In 1899, the brothers opened a second store in Hoveton and the famous “Roys’ of Wroxham” came into being. The shop is now part of Coltishall Pharmacy.

The Rising Sun at Coltishall, then owned by Bullards Brewery, pictured c1930s. The pub was originally part of another large maltings complex which, I believe, was once owned by the Coltishall Brewery.

On the Bure at Coltishall c1905
Anchor Hotel Coltishall 1938

The River Bure at Coltishall c1905.

Another view of the Anchor Hotel, postmarked as 1938. A contemporary advert lists the proprietor as being G.R.Neal and boasted; “You will find picturesque moorings and a hearty welcome”. Along with offering rooms, luncheons, dinners and teas, the hotel also had a bowling green and an 18 hole putting green.