The coaster “Burgundy” passes the Berney Arms pub, heading towards Breydon Water
The “Hector Read” tug crossing Breydon Water in 1975. The tug was built in Grimsby
in 1965 for the Great Yarmouth Port & Haven Commissioners and was used for general
towing duties for nearly 30 years. Sold in 2003, the tug is now believed to be in
Approaching Great Yarmouth from Breydon Water in 1978. In the background, behind
the motor cruiser, is the old Lacons Brewery Stores building. The Great Yarmouth
brewery was founded in the 1640s by Jeffrey Ward, but was bought by John Lacon (possibly
Laycon?) in 1760. In the 1930s the brewery owned over 350 tied pubs, 171 of which
were in Yarmouth itself. It is said that when the town was set ablaze during a bombing
raid in 1942, the firefighters rushed to save the brewery whilst other buildings,
including St. Nicholas Church, burned. Lacons was taken over by Whitbread in 1965,
and the brewery closed three years later. The site has since been redeveloped and
a blue plaque on the Palace Casino marks the spot on which the brewery once stood.
The brewery stores was the last building to remain standing, but it too was knocked
down in 1996 to make way for an Aldi supermarket.
Another view of Great Yarmouth in the 1970s, taken whilst heading towards Breydon
Heading towards Breydon, having just passed beneath Vauxhall Bridge at Great Yarmouth
Heading downstream on the River Bure at Great Yarmouth, with the yacht station on
the left. Up ahead, towing the dinghy, is D147 “Baltimore V” from Moore & Co. Of
Wroxham. Seen moored on the left are the 27ft Gala Girl” F90 from Summercraft, and
K824 “Ferry Cavalier 1” from the Ferry Boatyard at Horning.
The view looking upstream from Great Yarmouth Yacht Station in 1979.