Children play in the floodwater in Westwick Street.
Thw Wincarnis Works in Westwick Street which were owned by the Colman’s Brewery Company
Ltd. “Wincarnis” was the brand name of a well known fortified wine which had been
produced since the 1880s. It’s earlier ingredients were said to include meat and
The printing works of the Norwich Mercury on Bridge Street were destroyed as the
Wensum became a raging torrent. The works stood on the riverside near to St. Miles
For those who remained in their homes, food and other supplies were delivered by
boat or horse and cart. Here we see bread being delivered to an un-named street.
The caption on this postcard reads “Top window of a Public House used as bar”.
Trowse Bridge was one of the many bridges in the region which were destroyed or damaged
in the 1912 floods. The bridge was rebuilt in the following year.
Another postcard showing the collapsed road bridge at Trowse which crossed the River
Another view of Lakenham Bridge from August 1912. The caption reads “One of the first
trains into Norwich” - as previously mentioned, many of the rail lines were blocked
by either floodwater, fallen trees or other debris which cut the city off from the
The road bridge which crossed the River Yare at Lakenham was also destroyed during
The flooding in Mancroft Street, pictured on 27th August 1912. Four people lost their
lives in Norwich, including fish porter George Brodie who was one of the many heroic
people who attempted to rescue those who were trapped in their homes.