Another river scene captured by Ronald Winton c1930. This is captioned as being “near
Thurne Mouth” and features a rather nice looking steam tug in the background.
“Kaori” moored on the River Ant opposite Beaunont’s Mill c1930. The mill stood just
south of Ludham Bridge and was demolished to make way for a mooring basin near the
The interior of “Kaori” as the crew tuck in to a meal.
This is believed to have been taken on another trip to the Broads as the crew are
now aboard a centre cockpit cruiser. This photo is captioned as having been taken
on the river Bure near St Benets Abbey.
B 767 “Dancing Light” captioned as being moored on the Waveney. The “Light” class
of motor cruisers were built by Herbert Woods at Potter Heigham, the first being
built in 1926, and are widely held to have been the birth of the modern motor cruiser.
These boats were built with low wash hulls, had spacious, comfortable interiors and
a self starting Morris marine engine.
Another picture of “Dancing Light”. In 1930 Herbert Woods began the work to create
his Broadshaven yard at Potter Heigham which would see a 2 acre basin dug out of
the marshland, 1800 square feet of quay heading added for his growing fleet, new
boatsheds constructed and the famous water tower built.
Ronald Winton captioned this photograph “On Tow” as two of the crew are pulled behind
the boat in a dinghy. Note that gentlemen still wore a one piece bathing costume
at this time.
Moored at Acle c1931. The road bridge which can be seen in the background was new
in 1931, replacing the original three arch bridge which had been constructed in the
1830s. The current Acle road bridge was built in 1997 after it was discovered that
the increase in heavy traffic was causing subsidence.
Another picture taken whilst moored at Reedham c1931. This was the motor cruiser
“Pierrette” which was available to hire in the 1930s from C.J. Broom and Sons of
Brundall. There were three sister ships in the class - Nanette, Suzette and Babette,
and terms per week in 1933 were between £7 and £11. Pierrete was built in 1928, was
25ft in length with an 8ft beam and had a Morris Vedette engine.
This picture was captioned as being taken at Barton Broad c1930.
A beautiful steam yacht/schooner passes through Reedham swing bridge c1931. Many
of the older steam pleasure cruisers were still operating day trips on the Southern
Broads at this time.