The wherry “Harriet” pictured at the old Ludham staithe in 1898
The River Wensum at Norwich looking towards Foundry Bridge c1890s. The building on
the left, closest to the bridge is The Great Eastern Hotel which was built c1850
and survived until its demolition in 1963. Moored on the right is the passenger steamer
“The Jenny Lind” which was built in 1879 and ran regular trips between Norwich and
Bramerton Woods, Reedham, Oulton Broad and Great Yarmouth..
This is the Pleasure Boat Dyke at Hickling pictured c1890s, looking back towards
the Broad itself. The photograph is believed to have been taken from the spot where
the restaurant extension for the Pleasure Boat Inn now stands.
A pair of trading wherries at an unknown location c1880.
A trading wherry photographed at Barton Turf Staithe by George Christopher Davies
Another view of Beccles, looking upstream from the old railway bridge c1880, photographed
by George Christopher Davies.
Irstead Staithe and St. Michael’s Church, also by George Christopher Davies c1880.
Looking North on The Street in Ludham, pictured c1890s with the Kings Arms pub on
the left with Throwers stores opposite.
Pulls Ferry on the River Wensum at Norwich c1890s.
The photograph above is a very rare image of the original three arch stone bridge
at Beccles and dates from c1870s. The photographer is unknown, but it is believed
to have been taken from a building which once stood on the quay, looking upstream,
the Ship Inn can be seen on the left. Records show that the bridge was built c1268,
although there had been evidence of a ferry crossing at this point from c1000. The
bridge was demolished in 1880, the new iron bridge was constructed in 1881 and is
the one which still survives to this day. In the background you can also see the
old rail bridge which crossed the river as part of the Waveney Valley Rail line.