Another view of Coltishall Staithe from the 1960s.
The Rising Sun Inn and Coltishall Staithe c1970s.
A Great Eastern Railway postcard of Coltishall Lock c1905.
Coltishall Lock pictured in 1908. At this time it was possible to navigate the Upper
Bure all the way to Aylsham via further locks at the mills at Buxton, Oxnead, Burgh
and then Aylsham itself. The upper Bure beyond Coltishall was made navigable after
an act of parliament authorised the deepening of the river up to Aylsham in 1773.
Work commenced in the following year and it was opened in October 1779. The devastating
floods which hit the region on the 26th August 1912 destroyed all of the locks and
the navigation was closed, although it was not officially abandoned until 1928.
View near Coltishall c1910.
Coltishall Hall pictured c1910. In more recent years this grand, county house has
been redeveloped into luxury apartments.
Coltishall village as viewed from the road bridge c1912. Like the lock further downstream,
the bridge was also a casualty of the 1912 floods and was washed away during the
deluge, being rebuilt during the following year.