Designed & maintained by Carol Gingell

©  C.Gingell 2015 - all photographs, personal stories and written articles on this site are copyright and should not be reproduced anywhere else without the permission of the copyright owner and Broadland Memories.

© Broadland Memories 2015

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via e-mail Print
Home About Archive What's New DVD's Links Contact

My First Trip As An Owner in 1987

1980s History 1980s Memories 1980s Gallery

By Hugh Moxon

Like many people with a love of the Broads I had dreams of one day owning my own boat. My thoughts were that in my retirement I could convert some of my lump sum (I had one of those pensions) to a floating palace. The very untimely death of friends who had just retired prompted me to bring forward my plans. I now needed to raise some capital to enable me to carry this out. A house move was in the offing so seemed the perfect way to raise the extra.

Now armed with the wonga the hunt was on for a boat. At that time with 3 children it seemed sensible to look at 6 berth boats. It had to be able to negotiate all bridges and I liked centre cockpit cruisers. My perfect choice would have been Moores ‘Glenmore’ which were available but at £19,000 a tad dear (or so I thought). Finally I settled on ‘Finewind 4’ a 39’ Windboat built in 1957 being sold out of the Pennant Fleet. (Hindsight is such a wonderful thing!!). She had a recent survey, which suggested that she was basically sound but could do with some TLC (the story of this could take up several pages on its own).

The great day dawned, November 15th 1987, my wife and I our 2 yr old son and an erstwhile friend Ian (sadly armed with a video camera) made the journey up from Kent under dark and glowering skies with close on a force 8 gale blowing. We arrived at Potter Heigham before lunch and after completing the paperwork with the now late Stuart Woods, and parting with £5,500, I was the proud owner of a piece of boating history.

She was lying with the rest of the fleet, in the rear basin stern on to the main sheds, I didn’t want to leave her there so had arranged a temporary mooring elsewhere in the yard. We investigated from front to back checking the 3 cabins the 2 toilets (1 with shower which rumour has it was originally a bath!!), much caught on video, although quite why I have a real close-up shot of a toilet bowl I’m not too sure.

Let’s have a run down the river and back”

Start the engine – it runs – and quite well. Ian is to remain on the bank filming while I manoeuvre her out, picking him up when we head out to the river. Lines are let off and we inch out, now the basin is quite crowded, with an extremely strong cross wind. I don’t want to start my boat owning days by crunching mine or any other people’s boats.  Finewind has an enormous amount of freeboard, especially with the cockpit and canopy up, net result I cannot get her to point the way I want to – the way out. Lots of advice being given by the wife – for God’s sake give it some ‘welly’ – studiously and perhaps stupidly ignored.

Finewind IV

I spent so long facing the end of the basin that Ian felt sure there must be some secret exit he wasn’t aware of, finally having given her some ‘welly’ she came round sweet as a nut to face the correct way. I now had to stop to collect Ian off the quayside, here the wind helped a bit and without too much problem he joined us aboard.

Out of the yard turned right down past the bungalows nothing moving apart from us, and the odd bird flying backwards. The wind is causing waves up the Thurne and its grey and overcast but to me it’s a beautiful day. There are no heaters working on the boat but she has a warmth all of her own, and despite the outside air temperature we do not feel cold.  As all who have done it will know those first times in your own boat are magical if somewhat scary, and to do it out of season gives even greater pleasure. We went down as far as Womack Water, but the short daylight hours forced an about turn all too soon and we made our way back to the yard. She was placed on her mooring and at least on my part a reluctant ‘au revoir’ said.

Whilst not strictly a first trip, the next February/March found the whole family back at Potter Heigham, that’s wife, 11yr old daughter, 8 yr old daughter, 2 yr old son and of course me ready for adventure. We had tried to have a trip in December, but on arrival found some beggar had got on board and nicked both batteries (still not totally convinced it wasn’t the yard). So now armed with 2 new batteries and locks for the cockpit doors we were going cruising. Mind due to the fact that she still didn’t have any gas on board, nor had we brought up any sleeping bags, we were booked into the Hotel Wroxham for the night. It was as might be expected a crisp but dry day and we managed without any drama to board and set off down river. With the latish start and the short days there wasn’t much time to do much more than just cruise up the Bure to Wroxham, and even though I had by now done the trip several times, somehow it was different. We were able to moor outside the hotel (I had phoned ahead to make sure), and settled down for the night tucked up in our rooms overlooking the river.

Slight shock the next morning, my cabin tops, which were a ghastly blue colour were all white, snow/sleet/hail overnight had transformed things somewhat. After breakfast and settling the bill, we boarded Finewind. First order of the day for the girls was to build a snowman on the foredeck, then back into the relative warmth of the cockpit for our trip down river. A visit to Ranworth was decided upon. Drifting gently along enjoying the scenery with the occasional snow flurry heightening the experience was wonderful. Down Ranworth dyke, out onto the broad, and WHITEOUT the flurries decided to become a blizzard, now I knew I still had some spare space, but how long before I have to turn or run into the quayside I wasn’t sure. Fortunately it eased off back to flurries as quickly as it started in time for us to moor at the quay without incident and we headed into the warmth of the Maltsters. After some light refreshment, (I was having to drive home shortly), we resumed our journey back to Potter by now although not sunny much clearer and drier.

Our first real trip in our own boat.

I was destined not to use her for most of that year due to a fairly major refit – The survey’s idea of TLC and what was really found being two entirely different matters.

Hugh Moxon 2006


Finewind IV