Designed & maintained by Carol Gingell

©  C.Gingell 2015 - all photographs, personal stories and written articles on this site are copyright and should not be reproduced anywhere else without the permission of the copyright owner and Broadland Memories.

© Broadland Memories 2015

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via e-mail Print
Home About Archive What's New DVD's Links Contact

Postcards of the Norfolk Broads


Horning

Back to Postcards

Page  1, 2

The River Bure at Horning 1960s

The River Bure at Horning 1960s with Southgates boatyard on the left.

On the River Bure near Horning Ferry 1960s

On the River Bure near Horning Ferry 1960s.

Swan Corner at Horning c1960s

Swan Corner at Horning c1960s. The wherry Albion can be seen moored in the background.

Horning 1960s

Another postcard of Horning from the 1960s.

Horning Ferry Inn 1960s

The Ferry Inn at Horning pictured in the early 1960s.

Horning Ferry Inn 1960s

Horning Ferry Inn pictured in the late 1960s, having been rebuilt after suffering a major fire in 1965.

Horning Ferry Inn c1970

Another postcard of the Ferry Inn at Horning from the late 1960s or early 1970s.

Horning Ferry Estate 1980s

An aerial view of the Ferry estate at Horning from the 1980s.

Horning Ferry Estate 1980s

Another aerial view of the Ferry estate from the 1980s.

The River Bure and St. Benets Abbey c1940s

The River Bure and St. Benets Abbey c1940s.

St. Benets Abbey ruins c1960s

St. Benets Abbey ruins c1960s.

The River Bure & St Benets Abbey 1960s

The River Bure and St. Benets Abbey also pictured in the 1960s.

Horning Ferry Inn c1902

Horning Ferry Inn c1902. The Inn was an extremely popular watering hole during late Victorian and Edwardian times and attracted many well known and important visitors during that period. In the 1890s, the author Ernest Suffling wrote; “A glance at its visitors’ book will show that many notable persons have used this inn as their rendezvous, the Marquis of Lorne, Lord Suffield and Mark Twain among others.”  

The River Bure at Horning by moonlight c1905

The River Bure at Horning by moonlight c1905.

The Church of St. Benedict at Horning c1905

The Church of St. Benedict at Horning c1905. The Rev. L. Meadows White was the vicar at Horning between 1888 and 1911.

Horning Ferry Inn c1905

Another postcard of the Ferry Inn at Horning, this time c1905. A pleasure wherry can be seen heading upstream.

Horning Regatta pictured in 1931

Horning Regatta pictured in 1931. The first Horning Town Regatta was organised by Edward Gillard in 1903 - in 1910 he formed the Horning Town Sailing Club which had it’s headquarters at the Swan Inn.

The Swan Inn at Horning pictured c1940s

The Swan Inn at Horning pictured c1940s. The Swan was built in 1897, and replaced an earlier inn of the same name. The thatched part of the building is a 17th century cottage which was retained during construction. The original inn is said to have been built from stone and rubble reclaimed from the ruins of St. Benets Abbey and many fine stone carvings were reportedly found when it was demolished.

Top Prev