Britannia Pier at Great Yarmouth c1905. The original pier was built in 1858 at a cost of £6,000 but, just one year later, was partially demolished by a schooner which reduced it’s length by around 50 feet. In 1868 it suffered yet another collision which removed more of the structure. In 1901 the original wooden pier was replaced by a new one, constructed out of steel and wood, and the grand 2500 seat pavillion was built, works which cost over £60,000. Officially opened in 1902, the pier attracted huge crowds until, in 1909, it was sadly destroyed by fire. A replacement was built, opening in 1910, but this building suffered the same fate just 4 years later when it too burnt to the ground. The fire was believed to have been started deliberately and it was rumoured locally to have been the work of suffragettes! A third pavilion was built along with a new ballroom in 1933 and managed to avoid damage during the heavy bombing raids which Yarmouth suffered during WW2, although a hole was blown in the pier decking in 1940 as a precaution to prevent the enemy landing. In 1954 the pier and buildings were destroyed by yet another fire. The fourth pavilion was opened in 1958 and is the one which survives to this day.
The North Tower and Yacht Station c1905. The tower originally formed part of the old town walls.
The Great Yarmouth lifeboat “John Burch” c1910. The John Burch operated from No. 2 station and was in service from 1892 to 1912 during which time it was responsible for saving 88 lives.
The crew of the Great Yarmouth lifeboat “John Burch” c1910.
The Great Yarmouth lifeboat “Hugh Taylor” c1912. This lifeboat was in service at the No. 2 station from 1912 to 1919 and saved 7 lives during that time.
The crew of the lifeboat “Hugh Taylor” pictured c1912.
Great Yarmouth Yacht Station pictured in the mid 1960s.
Another postcard of the Yacht Station from the mid 1960s.