Designed & maintained by Carol Gingell

©  C.Gingell 2015 - all photographs, personal stories and written articles on this site are copyright and should not be reproduced anywhere else without the permission of the copyright owner and Broadland Memories.

© Broadland Memories 2015

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via e-mail Print
Home About Archive What's New DVD's Links Contact

Postcards of the Norfolk Broads


Coltishall

Back to Postcards

Page  1, 2

Coltishall Lock c1905

A Great Eastern Railway postcard of Coltishall Lock c1905.

The Rising Sun Inn at Coltishall 1960s.

The Rising Sun Inn at Coltishall 1960s.

Coltishall Staithe 1960s.

Coltishall Staithe 1960s.

Coltishall Staithe and the River Bure 1960s.

 Coltishall Staithe 1960s.

Another view of Coltishall Staithe from the 1960s.

Rising Sun moorings Coltishall c1970s

The Rising Sun Inn and Coltishall Staithe c1970s.

Coltishall Locl c1908

Coltishall Lock pictured in 1908. At this time it was possible to navigate the Upper Bure all the way to Aylsham via further locks at the mills at Buxton, Oxnead, Burgh and then Aylsham itself. The upper Bure beyond Coltishall was made navigable after an act of parliament authorised the deepening of the river up to Aylsham in 1773. Work commenced in the following year and it was opened in October 1779. The devastating floods which hit the region on the 26th August 1912 damamged all of the locks beyond economical repair and the navigation was closed, although it was not officially abandoned until 1928.

View near Coltishall c1910.

View near Coltishall c1910.

Coltishall Hall c1910

Coltishall Hall pictured c1910. In more recent years this grand, county house has been redeveloped into luxury apartments.

Coltishall village as viewed from the road bridge c1912

Coltishall village as viewed from the road bridge c1912. Like the lock further downstream, the bridge was also a casualty of the 1912 floods and was washed away during the deluge, being rebuilt during the following year.

Coltishall Staithe viewed from the road c1940s.

Coltishall Staithe viewed from the road c1940s.

The River Bure at Coltishall c1905

The River Bure at Coltishall c1905.

The Anchor Hotel and Yachting Staithe at Coltishall c1905

The Anchor Hotel and Yachting Staithe at Coltishall c1905, which was a popular mooring spot for holiday boats even back then. The Anchor Hotel, on the left, was owned by Morgan’s Brewery and the licensee at this time was Peter George Hunt. The hotel closed in 1985 and is now a private house.

Anchor Hotel Staithe, Coltishall c1906

Another view of the Anchor Staithe moorings at Coltishall, postmarked to 1906. The range of buildings seen in the background were part of a large maltings complex which was situated next to the Anchor Hotel. Malting had been an important industry in Coltishall for many years - the 1841 census listed three maltsters in Anchor Street alone. By the early 20th century, the business was in decline and the maltings seen above closed. The buildings fronting on to the river had been demolished by the early 1930s and the rest of the complex was converted into private dwellings

Anchor Hotel Coltishall 1930s

Another view of the Anchor Hotel, postmarked as 1938. A contemporary advert lists the proprietor as being G.R.Neal and boasted; “You will find picturesque moorings and a hearty welcome”. Along with offering rooms, luncheons, dinners and teas, the hotel also had a bowling green and an 18 hole putting green.

The Street at Coltishall, pictured c1909

The Street at Coltishall, pictured c1909. On the right is Roys’ Grocery and Drapery store which was established here in 1895 by brothers Alfred and Arnold Roy. In 1899, the brothers opened a second store in Hoveton and the famous “Roys’ of Wroxham” came into being. The shop is now part of Coltishall Pharmacy.

The Rising Sun at Coltishall 1930s

The Rising Sun at Coltishall, then owned by Bullards Brewery, pictured c1930s. The pub was originally part of another large maltings complex which, I believe, was once owned by the Coltishall Brewery.

Top Coltishall village c1906 Coltishall village c1906

Looking towards the village from the road bridge c1920 with the White Horse hotel on the left. Once owned by the Coltishall Brewery, the White Horse was bought by Bullards in the 1860s.  Part of the pub’s bowling green is said to have been washed away during the 1912 flood. It closed in 1971 under the ownership of Watney Mann and is now the Bridge House B&B.

Curch Street Coltishall c1910

The church of St John the Baptist, looking down towards the Red Lion public house on the left c1910.

Church Street Coltishall c1920

Another view of Church Street c1910. It’s a scene which hasn’t changed very much at all.

Station Road Coltishall c1917

Coltishall station c1917. Coltishall was originally on the East Norfolk Railway line which opened in 1879, later becoming part of the Great Eastern Railway Company which in turn was swallowed up by the London & North Eastern line. The line was closed to passengers in 1952 but continued to carry freight up until the mid 1960s. The line was reopened in 1990 as part of the Bure Valley railway. The station building itself is now a B&B.


Coltishall c1935

This shows the view at the corner of Church Street/Norwich Road, looking up towards the High street in Coltishall c1935 The confectionery shop on the left is now the site of the petrol station whilst the shop in the foreground on the right has also disappeared, replaced by a modern Londis store which is set further back from the road.

Wherry at Coltishall c1910 Pleasure wherry at Coltishall Hall c1910 Coltishall Lock Lock keepers cottage at Coltishall c1916 The River Bure at Coltishall c1910

 The Street pictured c1920. On the left you can see the sign hanging up outside the Cabinetmakers Arms public house.


Another postcard of the White Horse at Coltishall, this time c1908. The licensee at this time was William Platten - I wonder if he is amongst the men seen here.

Unknown trading wherry on the River Bure at Coltishall c1910.

Another unknown trading wherry in a dyke at Coltishall c1910.

Unidentified pleasure wherry with Coltishall Hall seen in the background c1910. Note the ‘bonnet’ laced onto the bottom of the sail, added to assist passage in light winds.

The lock keepers cottage at Coltishall, posted in 1916.

Coltishall lock chamber. It looks a little overgrown, so I presume this must be post 1912 when the lock, along with others upstream, was damaged during the devastating flood in August of that year. Repairs to the damaged locks was deemed too costly and the navigation was closed.

Next