Designed & maintained by Carol Gingell

©  C.Gingell 2015 - all photographs, personal stories and written articles on this site are copyright and should not be reproduced anywhere else without the permission of the copyright owner and Broadland Memories.

© Broadland Memories 2015

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via e-mail Print
Home About Archive What's New DVD's Links Contact

Postcards of the Norfolk Broads


Beccles

Back to Postcards The River Waveney near Beccles c1905

The River Waveney near Beccles c1905.

Beccles viewed from the railway bridge c1908

Beccles viewed from the railway bridge c1908.

N.W. Pells miller and Darby’s timber yard at Beccles c1910

N.W. Pells miller and Darby’s timber yard at Beccles c1910.

A wherry on the River Waveney at Beccles c1920s

A wherry on the River Waveney at Beccles c1920s.

Beccles from the railway bridge c1920s

Another view of Beccles from the railway bridge c1920s.

The view from Beccles Church Tower c1907

The view from Beccles Church Tower c1907.  A fascinating image which clearly shows the old rail bridge which crossed the River Waveney as well as the road bridge in the background.

Gilljngham Dam aftre the 1912 flood

Gillingham Dam pictured after the devastating floods of August 1912.

Salgate in Beccles c1920s

Salgate in Beccles c1920s.

Beccles from the River Waveney c1920s

Beccles from the River Waveney c1920s.

Station Road in Beccles c1920s

Station Road in Beccles c1920s.

“Yacht race at Beccles” c 1930s

“Yacht race at Beccles” c 1930s.

St. Michael’s church at Beccles c1950s/60s

St. Michael’s church at Beccles c1950s/60s.

Salgate, Beccles 1950s

Salgate, Beccles 1950s.

The River Waveney and Beccles Quay pictured in the 1950s

The River Waveney and Beccles Quay pictured in the 1950s.

The River Waveney at Beccles pictured in the early 1960s

The River Waveney at Beccles pictured in the early 1960s. The boat moored on the right is W452 “Broadland Falcon” from Ripplecraft of Somerleyton and the cruiser on the river is W972 “Checkmate 2” from Collins Pleasurecraft of Oulton Broad.

Beccles Yacht Station 1960s

Beccles Yacht Station 1960s.

Beccles Caravan Harbour 1960s

Beccles Caravan Harbour 1960s.

Beccles Yacht Station from the 1960s

Another postcard of Beccles Yacht Station from the 1960s. Two cruisers from Brooms of Brundall can be seen on the left - the first is one of the “Admiral” class and, next to it, a “Commander”.

The River Waveney and Beccles Old Bridge 1960s

The River Waveney and Beccles Old Bridge 1960s.

Beccles Yacht Station pictured in the early 1970s.

Beccles Yacht Station pictured in the early 1970s.

Beccles Quay c1905

Beccles Quay c1905. I can’t make out the name of the trading wherry in the photograph, but it looks as though one of the name boards reads “Lowestoft”.

Beccles 1906

This postcard of Beccles, looking upstream towards the bridge was posted in 1906. The road bridge was built in 1881 and replaced the original medieval three arch stone bridge which had fallen in to disrepair.

The River Waveney at Beccles 1906

The River Waveney at Beccles, dated 1906.

Puddingmoor in Beccles 1907

This postcard shows Puddingmoor in Beccles and dates from 1907. The first row of terraced houses on the right have now gone, but most of the other buildings featured still remain.

Black Boy public house Beccles 1907

This postcard from 1907 shows the scene at the bottom of Ingate Street - the large building in the centre of the picture was the Black Boy public house which was demolished several decades ago. The scene looks very different today and is dominated by modern housing. (My thanks to Lynda Adams for the information)


Ballygate at Beccles 1909

Ballygate at Beccles, posted in 1909.

Exchange Square, Beccles 1909

Exchange Square, Beccles also posted in 1909. The large building in the centre was the old post office which dominated the corner of Sheepgate and Smallgate. The brick building to the left of it is the King’s Head and in 1948 the Youngs, Crawshay and Youngs brewery gifted a parcel of 90 square yards of land adjacent to the pub to the town to be used as an open space for the public - an area which now houses the bus shelter. Presumably the post office had been demolished prior to this and the land purchased by the brewery.On the left is the Corn Exchange building which is now the Lloyds TSB bank.

Looking upstream from Beccles Bridge c1910

The view from Beccles bridge, looking upstream towards the old rail bridge c1910. The rail bridge was part of the Waveney Valley line which ran between Beccles and Tivetshall and was, at one time, quite a busy rail route. Passenger services ceased in 1953, although freight continued to be transported along the line until 1965.

Beccles Regatta 1924

Beccles Regatta photographed in 1924.

Beccles Regatta 1924

Another postcard featuring a race from the 1924 Beccles Regatta.

A trading wherry on the River Waveney at Beccles c1930s

A trading wherry on the River Waveney at Beccles, believed to be c1930s/40s.

A trading wherry on the River Waveney at Beccles c1930s

Another postcard of possibly the same trader at Beccles c1930s/40s.

Top