Designed & maintained by Carol Gingell
© C.Gingell 2015 - all photographs, personal stories and written articles on this site are copyright and should not be reproduced anywhere else without the permission of the copyright owner and Broadland Memories.
© Broadland Memories 2015
Postcards of the Norfolk Broads
The Street, Acle c1908.
Fishley Mill at Acle c1910.
Acle Regatta on the River Bure c1920s.
The old, three arch road bridge at Acle pictured in the 1920s.
The River Bure at Acle c1950.
Acle road bridge c1950s.
The second road bridge at Acle pictured during the 1960s. This bridge replaced the original stone one in 1931.
Another view of Acle road bridge and the River Bure from the 1960s.
Another postcard of Acle Bridge from the 1960s.
Looking downstream on the River Bure at Acle Bridge 1960s with Alan Johnson’s boatyard on the left.
The River Bure at Acle, also from the 1960s.
Acle Bridge and the Curtis Stores c1960s/70s.
The River Bure and Acle Bridge c1980s.
The Bridge Inn at Acle c1980s.
The River Bure from Acle Bridge c1980s.
The old Weybridge at Acle c1905. You can see the roof of what is now the Bridge Inn on the right. The pub was originally known as The Angel but, by 1904, had been renamed The Bridge House.
Another postcard of Acle Bridge with an eel catchers hut in the foreground c1905.
Looking upstream towards Acle Bridge in 1909, with The Bridge House on the left.
A view of Acle village - posted in 1904.
The Street at Acle c1905 with the Queens Head Hotel on the left.
Another view of The Street at Acle c1915.
The Queens Head Hotel at Acle, also c1915-1920. The pub dated back to the late 18th century and eventually became part of the Watney Mann chain - the pub was closed by them in 1975.
Acle Bridge pictured in the late 1920s. The old bridge was demolished and replaced in 1931.