More of the Barber Family photographs from the 1970s.
Barton Turf Staithe c1973.
St Michael’s Church at Irstead.
The church organ at St Michael’s in Irstead.
Another interior shot of St Michael’s church at Irstead showing one of the painted screen panels.
The Old Granary at Stalham Staithe, built c1808.
Hunsett Mill, a classic view which adorned many a postcard over the years.
A closer view of Hunsett Mill. You can see a date stone inset into the bricks above the door. It bears the date of 1698, although the mill was actually built in 1860.
Tonnage Bridge on the North Walsham and Dilham Canal c1974. It’s pretty much impossible to reach via motor cruiser these days, although canoes are available to hire to explore the canal. The 1974 edition of the Broads Book stated that the canal was navigable to Honing Lock, but that it was shallow and should be navigated with extreme care; “There has been a good deal of silting on the lower reaches and we do not recommend that large cruisers go above Wayford Bridge. Small cruisers can, at time of high water, get up as far as the branch entrance to East Ruston village, but they should proceed dead slow and great care should be taken. In absence of further work we suggest that Tonnage Bridge, the first bridge over the canal, be regarded as the effective head of navigation.”
The first of four photographs taken in Ludham in the mid 1970s. Thatched cottages on Yarmouth Road, looking up towards the Kings Arms. It’s a view which hasn’t really changed, other than the brickwork on the pub is now painted. Another former Bullards pub which was owned by Watney Mann in the 1970s.
Crown House in the centre of the village, housing a branch of Barclays Bank in the mid 1970s, with the Corner Cabin shop to the left. Crown House was formerly the Rose and Crown public house from the mid 1700s up until the early years of the 20th century when it was owned by the Lacons brewery. The licensee between 1841 and 1864 was Robert Newton, who was also listed as being the postmaster here. Both Crown House and the Corner Cabin are now private residences.
Another view of Ludham, with the entrance to the churchyard on the left.
The church of St Catherine at Ludham.
Potter Heigham in the mid 1970s with Leading Lady 2 seen moored alongside Herbert Woods boatyard on the left. Beyond the bridge, on the right, is the Bridge Hotel.
A lovely view of The Bridge Hotel at Potter Heigham. Several written sources put the build date of the hotel at around 1900, replacing the earlier Waterman’s Arms which stood on the site. A recent photographic find, coupled with census evidence and contemporary trade directories seem to push that build date back to the late 1880s. I covered that in detail in a blog post about the Waterman’s Arms, the early photograph showing that the original pub was still standing when the new hotel was built and that it took the name of the old pub for a few years before it was changed to the Bridge Hotel c1891. It was a popular establishment in the 1970s, many remember attending regular discos there. It was sadly destroyed by fire in September 1990.
A tight fit! Taking Emiline III through Potter Heigham Bridge c1974.
West Somerton in the mid 1970s. The cruiser in the foreground was originally called Shallock and was part of Alan Johnson’s fleet at Acle Bridge. She was sold in 1975 and renamed Shari 24.
The Pleasure Boat Inn at Hickling with Emiline III in the foreground c1974.
This was also taken at Hickling Pleasure Boat, looking towards the car park. It looks as though there is a display of county dancing. I could find no reference to this, but he “Broads Book” guides of the 1970s made mention of regular performances at Broadland pubs throughout the summer by he Norwich Morris Dancers, Kemp’s Men. They were named after William Kempe, one of Shakespeare’s actors, who danced from London to Norwich in 1599.
Another visit to Horsey Mill for the Barber Family, looking back down to Emiline III moored below.
Stokesby Ferry Inn, pictured in the mid 1970s. The Lacons sign still adorns the building, although the pub was owned by Whitbread by this time.
St Olaves Bridge c1974.
The Bell Inn at St. Olaves c1974. The Bell is thought to be the oldest public house in Broadland with parts of the building dating back to 1520 when it was home to the ferryman here.