More of the Barber Family photographs from the 1970s.
Dydler’s Mill pictured c1971. The mill was converted into a home in the late 1920s by the author/journalist Drew Miller who published a book of whimsical tales about Broadland in 1935 entitled “Seen From A Windmill”. He wrote about the mill, which had been destroyed by fire during the First World War, in that book; “That was in the year the Great War broke out. The man of the mill had gone to France to fight for his country, and a boy, left in charge, did not realize how essential lubricating grease is, and fire was the result. The flames could be seen for miles around, and people grieved because of the destruction of something they all loved. The conflagration consumed the sails, the wood top and the platforms, and all that remained of the most graceful mill on the Norfolk waters were the thick brick shell, a mass of melted iron and some scorched wood sunken into the marsh. Other means were found to drain the marshes, so nothing was done with the ruin, and it became a picturesque derelict. Never had we coveted anything till we saw the ruin of the mill. Each time we visited we wanted it more, till one day we were lucky enough to acquire it; then we followed the birds’ example and made a home of it. Making the place habitable was a bigger job than we had anticipated, as our requirements were so much greater than those of our feathered friends, but, with the hearty co-operation of workmen from the neighbouring village, we reclaimed the marshland around the place and converted the ruin. We put in windows and floors and erected a glassed studio on top, making it resemble a lighthouse; although this was quite unintentional.” The mill was often also referred to as Miller’s Mill during, and after, his ownership.
Salhouse Broad c1974.
The church of St. Mary at South Walsham c1974. There are two churches at South Walsham which were built in the same churchyard, on the border between two medieval manors, in the early 14th century. The other, St. Lawrence, was gutted by fire in 1827 and was largely abandoned and left to go to ruin, only the chancel was repaired and was later used as a schoolhouse. The crumbling tower, which can be seen in many old postcards and photos, was still standing up until 1971 when it suffered two disasters in short succession - firstly it was struck by lightening and then the sonic boom from a low flying aircraft caused it to collapse. The remains of the base of the tower can still be seen in the churchyard and the chancel building has now been fully restored and is used as a church hall.
Thurne Dyke Mill, pictured in the early to mid 1970s. The boats, from right to left are; D79 Crystal Light 6 from Herbert Woods, B371 Gaiety Girl from Summercraft (later Wayford Marine), and E44 Lady Sandria from Breydon Marine.
Another view of Thurne Dyke drainage mill from the mid 1970s.
The moorings at Thurne Dyke c1974. Just out of sight, on the left, was Curtis’ Stores. In the background is The Lion public house which was described in the 1976 edition of “The Broads Book” as; “A solid square 100 year old farmhouse. Hot showers. Packed lunches and snacks at the bar.”
The church of St Edmund at Thurne.
A346 Emiline 1 at Horsey Mill c1973 or 1974.
The view from Horsey Mill c1974.
Panning round from the previous shot to show Horsey Mere c1974.
A busy moorings at the Stracey Arms with Emiline 1 in the foreground.
The Stracey Arms mill which was built to drain the surrounding marshes in the 1880s. It is now owned and maintained by the Norfolk Windmills Trust.
Sunset at the Stracey Arms moorings with Emiline 1 in the foreground.
The Barber’s on board A756 Emiline III on Wroxham Broad c1974. The second hire of this class for the family.
A return pass for Emiline III on Wroxham Broad.
Cruising on Emiline III c1974.
Encountering a “hover” - a clump of reeds or vegetation which has broken away from the riverbank and formed a floating island.
Another photograph taken on board Emiline III c1974.
Cxruising on the River Bure c1974. The boat on the right is W862 Tranquil 1 from Richardson’s boatyard at Stalham.
The Swan Inn at Horning c1974. It was another Watney’s pub at this time, having previously been owned by Bullards brewery. Just below the roof on the right, you can see the date of 1897, the year in which it was built, replacing the earlier Swan Hotel.
A perennial pastime on the Broads - feeding the local swans.
The Ferry Inn at Horning c1973/74 which was yet another Watney’s owned establishment. The wooden cruiser in the foreground is W947 Breydon Lady 6 from the Cobholm Boatyard at Great Yarmouth.
A busy Ranworth Staithe c1974. On the right is one of the Brink of Eden class from Brinkcraft of Wroxham, then Emiline III. On the other side of the little aft cockpit cruiser is R226, Ernest Collins Silver Emblem 2 with what looks like one of the San Remo Hampton Safaris from Johnsons Yacht Station at St Olaves next to it.