“Fairwind 1” moored at the Berney Arms in 1970. The cost for a weeks hire was £72 10s. The first of two photographs submitted by Ron Harrison.
Loddon pictured in 1970 .
D585 “Concorde” moored at Wayford Bridge in 1971. The first of three images submitted by John Morris.
Another picture of Wayford Bridge on the River Ant, this time from 1972.
The ice cream boat at Ranworth in 1972.
A small collection of photographs from the 1970s which have been submitted by Iain Gray
A floating fish’n’chip boat, moored at Horning c1972.
Another floating fish and chip boat, a conversion of one of Windboats Flat-a-Floats, c1972.
Norwich Yacht Station c1972.
The passenger cruiser “Regal Lady” photographed around Easter 1970. Regal Lady began life as the “Oulton Belle” which was built in 1930 by Fellows & Co. of Great Yarmouth for the Yarmouth and Gorleston Steam Packet Company. She was a popular trip boat during the 1930s but was requisitioned by the Ministry of Defence during the Second World War for work as a fleet tender on the Clyde. She is also listed as being one of the Dunkirk Little Ships, but one of her former skippers, Jack Cates, was apparently adamant that she never went to Dunkirk according to information supplied by Kim Blake! After the war she returned to Great Yarmouth and an upper deck and new funnel were fitted and one of the excursions she ran was a round trip down the coast to Lowestoft and in through Mutford Lock, returning to Yarmouth via the Waveney and Breydon Water. In 1954 she was sold and moved to Scarborough where she was renamed Regal Lady and converted to diesel. In 1970 she returned to the Broads when she was bought by Neville Blake who, along with son Kim, operated her out of Norwich until 1984. In 1986, Regal Lady moved back up the coast to Scarborough where she was totally rebuilt before being put back into service as a passenger boat and she continues to offer chartered trips from there today.
One of the most famous steam passenger cruisers “Queen Of The Broads” which was launched in 1879, pictured here c1972. She continued operating until 1976. You can read more about the Queen of the Broads in this Broadland Memories blog post.
A Moonraker 36 built by Colin Chapman’s JCL Marine at Brundall. Pictured at Reedham in 1973.
The following photographs on this page were taken at Caribbean Cruisers of Loddon who were the boatbuliding division of F.B.Wilds of Horning. You can read more about the history of Frank Wilds innovative design of boat at Dan Horner’s F.B.Wilds website. The pictures here are reproduced by kind courtesy of Sheila Douglas.
The building sheds of Caribbean Cruisers at Loddon c1970.
Applying one of the layers of fibreglass to a Caribbean cruiser c1970.
Preparing the fibreglass sheets for the boats at Caribbean Cruisers in Loddon c1970.
Another picture of the building sheds of Caribbean Cruisers at Loddon c1973.
A Caribbean cruiser outside the main sheds at Loddon c1973.
F.B.Wilds main boatyard at Horning c1975.
The following collection of photographs were submitted to the archive by Ray Walker
.J.Loynes “Golden Plover” pictured at their yard in Wroxham c1970. Built in 1915, this boat was available to hire for over 50 years. The first of twelve pictures taken in the 1970s which were sent in by Ray Walker.
The view from Acle bridge looking upstream c1970 with the Bridgecraft yard pictured on the left.
The steel hulled “Lady Carron” from Breydon Marine moored at Great Yarmouth in 1971.
H.E.Hippersons old yard at Beccles pictured in 1971. The yard later moved and houses were built on this site.
“Tamarisk” owned by Cruisercraft of Beccles moored at Moores yard in Wroxham in 1971.
One of Astons boats moored just down from their new yard at Beccles in 1974. Darby’s timber yard, behind, has since been replaced by housing.