We begin the 1900-1949 photo gallery by going back to the early 1930s when The Norfolk Broads was experiencing it’s first holiday boom as more affordable options, and better transport links, brought eager holidaymakers flocking to the region.. Sailing holidays were to reach their peak in the mid 1930s but motor cruisers were now being developed and built in increasing numbers. The pictures over the next few pages were all taken by a Mr Ronald Winton c1930 over the course of two Broadland holiday taken with friends, firstly aboard the cruiser “Kaori” from Landamores of Wroxham and, secondly, aboard “Pierrette” from C.J. Broom and Sons of Brundall. Details of some locations have come from notes written on the back of the photographs which also mention travelling on the river Waveney to Bungay. Navigation to Bungay from Geldeston was closed in 1934.
“Kaori” and crew moored at an unknown location c1930.
The motor cruiser “Kaori” and crew, believed to be pictured at Potter Heigham.
Potter Heigham c1930 with George Applegates yard on the left and the Bridge Hotel on the right. The large motor cruiser moored in front of the hotel was “Pauline” from Millers yard at Oulton Broad. Pauline was an 80ft Thames barge which was converted into a floating hotel by Frank Miller and she made annual, conducted tours of Broadland during the 1920s and 1930s. She had thirteen passenger berths and, in 1933, cost between £4 10s to £5 10s per person, fully inclusive, per week.
A busier view of Potter Heigham with the motor cruiser “Heather” in the foreground c1930.
The old railway bridge at Potter Heigham. This line was part of the Midland and Great Northern railway company and brought thousands of holiday makers to the Norfolk Broads each year. The line was closed in 1959 and the bridge demolished in the mid 1960s to make way for the new road bridge.
One of the crew on board “Kaori” at an unknown location. Kaori was built by Edward Landamore at Wroxham and is believed to have been named after one of the places at which he was stationed in Japan during his military career. Sister ships included Omori, Myori, Tamar and Cherwell.
One of the crew enjoys a spot of fishing as a sailing cruiser passes by.
The crew bring “Kaori” in to moor at an unknown location
Another picture taken at the same unknown location c1930.
A busy river scene at an unknown location although there appears to be a bridge like structure in the background.
Another picture of “Kaori” and crew.
A tranquil spot where one of the crew takes a swim..
This picture was captioned as being taken at Barton Broad c1930.
Another river scene captured by Ronald Winton c1930. This is captioned as being “near Thurne Mouth” and features a rather nice looking steam tug in the background.
“Kaori” moored on the River Ant opposite Beaumont’s Mill c1930. The mill stood just south of Ludham Bridge and was demolished to make way for a mooring basin near the boatyard.
The interior of “Kaori” as the crew tuck in to a meal.
This is believed to have been taken on another trip to the Broads as the crew are now aboard a centre cockpit cruiser. This photo is captioned as having been taken on the river Bure near St Benet’s Abbey.
B767 “Dancing Light” captioned as being moored on the Waveney. The “Light” class of motor cruisers were built by Herbert Woods at Potter Heigham, the first being built in 1926, and are widely held to have been the birth of the modern motor cruiser. These boats were built with low wash hulls, had spacious, comfortable interiors and a self starting Morris marine engine.
Another picture of “Dancing Light”. In 1930 Herbert Woods began the work to create his Broadshaven yard at Potter Heigham which would see a 2 acre basin dug out of the marshland, 1800 square feet of quay heading added for his growing fleet, new boatsheds constructed and the famous water tower built.
Ronald Winton captioned this photograph “On Tow” as two of the crew are pulled behind the boat in a dinghy. Note that gentlemen still wore a one piece bathing costume at this time.
Moored at Acle c1931. The road bridge which can be seen in the background was new in 1931, replacing the original three arch bridge which had been constructed in the 1830s. The current Acle road bridge was built in 1997 after it was discovered that the increase in heavy traffic was causing subsidence.
A beautiful steam yacht/schooner passes through Reedham swing bridge c1931. Many of the older steam pleasure cruisers were still operating day trips on the Southern Broads at this time.
Another picture taken whilst moored at Reedham c1931. This was the motor cruiser “Pierrette” which was available to hire in the 1930s from C.J. Broom and Sons of Brundall. There were three sister ships in the class - Nanette, Suzette and Babette, and terms per week in 1933 were between £7 and £11. Pierrete was built in 1928, was 25ft in length with an 8ft beam and had a Morris Vedette engine.
Another fabulous shot taken by Ronald Winton c1931 at Reedham. A steam tug is approaching the swing bridge with cargo on tow. Reedham is at the junction of two lines, the Norwich to Great Yarmouth line which was constructed in 1844 and the line running across the bridge to Lowestoft which was built in 1847.
Also taken at Reedham, a large coaster passes through the swing bridge.
This was also captioned as being taken at Reedham c1931.
Heading upstream towards Somerleyton Swing Bridge.
This was captioned as being the wherry yacht “Goldfinch” which was built by Alfred Collins yard at Wroxham. Here she is seen at Oulton Broad c1931.
“Pierrette” moored at Oulton Broad c1931, taken from the yacht station and captioned as being taken over the August Bank Holiday weekend. The Wherry Hotel can be seen in the background.
The crew make the most of the good weather somewhere on the river Waveney c1931.